A few days before the EWMA 2021 Virtual Conference, you will receive an e-mail from M Events with the invitation link to the virtual conference room of your live session. To join the virtual conference room, open your personal chair or speaker link to get to your session view:
Recommendations for chair persons:
- At the start of the session: Explain the purpose of the session and introduce the speakers/moderators/panel members. All speakers and chairpersons will be visible at the start of the session and during the Q&A. In between presentations only chairpersons will be visible.
- Pay attention to key messages. People remember best the first things they hear, so don’t bury your key messages in the middle.
- Actively listen. You need to listen only what the participant is saying, not your next question. Show you are doing this by picking up on what they say and making smooth transitions to your next point or participant.
- Give visual cues. Encourage participants by giving visual cues, like nodding your head to encourage people while they are speaking. You have to be clearer and more structured than when you moderate in person.
- Manage the time. You need to manage the length of your presenters’ interventions and allow enough time for the live questions and answers orally or through the chat box.
- Close the session by providing a recap of the main points and outline the next steps.
- Chat box: be aware that if you delete a question it is deleted for everyone.
- Master the technology: Mute/unmute icons, the chat box, etc.
Pay attention to the following during the session:
- Speak clearly and slightly slower than normal. Relax and control your own breath.
- If you want to keep your audience engaged, you have to be more expressive with your facial gestures, hands and voice modulation.
- Restrict body movement as much as possible. Excessive movements are disruptive to viewers.
- If you need to get up turn off your camera.
- Mute your microphone when you are not speaking.
- Avoid making noise when your microphone is open (e.g. do not type on your keyboard).
- The technician will start the presentations after the introduction of the chair
- Make sure your eyes are approximately third of the screen down. Look straight into your webcam. Raise your webcam or laptop (eg use a stack of books) so that it is at eye level and you can sit upright
- Try to achieve a similar distance from the camera as the other speakers
During the scheduled session time, as stated in the programme, all speakers and chairpersons should be present and in front of their computers, incl. headset If possible (or microphone) and join also via webcam. The virtual conference room will be accessible 15 minutes prior to the session, allowing you some time to ask your session technician possible questions about the procedure. A technician will also be on hand during the session, should you have any difficulties.
What you will need:
- A computer
- Headset (if possible) plugged in and ready (use of a microphone is also possible)
- A webcam
- E-mail with access link from M Events
- A wired internet connection with a 5 Mbit upstream internet connection is recommended
- Use Google Chrome (most recent version)
- Choose a location with sufficient lighting but avoid direct sunlight into your webcam. We suggest you face a window so that you are lit from the front but your camera is not. Or if at night choose light which is flattering. You can also adjust the brightness of your computer screen.
- Make sure you have closed all the other applications and programmes on your computer
In case you have any technical questions, feel free to contact the M-Events Support team via email@example.com
A dedicated M Events technician will attend each session to assist the chairpersons and speakers.